I am currently pursuing my PhD in the Energy System Modelling Group of Dr. Tom Brown at the Institute for Automation and Applied Informatics of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, where I develop methodologies to improve power network representations in cross-sectoral decarbonised energy system models that co-optimise generation, transmission and storage expansion.
Previously, I did research at the Fraunhofer ISI, after I had finished my studies of Sustainable Energy Systems at the University of Edinburgh. I completed my Master in 2017 with a dissertation focussed on the optimal scheduling of electric vehicles in distribution networks under uncertainty. Before that, I studied industrial engineering centred on energy informatics and energy technologies at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. I wrote my Bachelor thesis on heat pump scheduling using genetic algorithms at the Research Centre for Information Technology (FZI).
My research interests evolve around renewable energy networks, energy system modelling, sector coupling, large-scale optimisation and energy technologies.
Opportunities in our Working Group
Talks and Presentations
- An Introduction to Energy System Modelling with PyPSA: Python for Power System Analysis, Instituto de Investigaciòn Technològica (IIT), Comillas Pontifical University, 8 July 2019, Madrid, Spain. (Code with Jupyter Notebooks and Data)
- Interplay of a Network of Hydrogen Refuelling Stations (HRS) for Heavy-Duty Vehicles (HDV) and the Power System in Germany in 2050, Fabian Neumann (KIT) and Philipp Kluschke (Fraunhofer ISI), 26th Workshop Student Chapters of the GEE (International Association for Energy Economics), 17 May 2019, Karlsruhe.
- Modelling the European Energy System to Fulfil the Paris Agreement Targets: The Role of Informatics, 7 September 2018, PSE@ResearchDayUK, Centre for Process Systems Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
- Optimal Load Scheduling of Electric Vehicles in Distribution Networks, 22 August 2017, Thesis Presentation, School of Engineering, University of Edinburgh
- Scheduling of Heat Pumps Using Genetic Algorithms [Betriebsoptimierung von Wärmepumpen mittels genetischer Algorithmen] (German), 14 Juli 2016, Thesis Presentation, Department of Economics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Markov-Chain-Monte-Carlo (MCMC) Simulation (German), 15 June 2015, with Jonas Rothfuß and Marius Causemann, Seminar, Department of Mathematics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Supervision of Theses
- Master Thesis: Power Transmission Loss Modelling in European-scale Energy System Optimisation, KIT, 2019
- Seminar Thesis: Automatic Selection Methods for Candidate Lines in Transmission Expansion Planning, KIT, 2018
- Master Thesis (co-supervision): Selection and Evaluation of Possible Renewable Energy Import Options for the Transport Sector, Fraunhofer ISI, 2018
- Master Thesis (co-supervision): Use of Renewable Synthetic Fuels in Decarbonised Shipping,Fraunhofer ISI, 2018
- Master Thesis (co-supervision): Use of Renewable Synthetic Fuels in Decarbonised Aviation, Fraunhofer ISI, 2018